Pages

Wednesday, October 14, 2015


Hello fellow Nature Play community! I’m new to the blog and super excited to be sharing some fun ideas with you all! So I thought I would start off by introducing myself. My name is Kaitlyn and I am an intern here at the Greenville Zoo. I am currently in charge of our Nature Play department. I was thrilled to be offered this position and become a part of the Zoo’s family!

As I’ve been outdoors tidying up our nature nook playground, I noticed some new friends that have come out to enjoy the recent rainy weather here in South Carolina. You’ve probably seen them yourself growing in your own backyard. Mushrooms!! I love mushrooms, at least the ones we can eat; button mushrooms, shitake and even Chinese black mushrooms. However there are hundreds more type of mushrooms. But the ones we see in our yards may not be for eating! Here is an online guide I found for mushrooms: http://www.mushroommountain.com/mushroom_hunting/index.asp

It even tells you if it is edible, but I’m sure they need to be cooked first, so leave that to the chefs! As you are out and exploring in this fall weather, make a game to see who can spot the most mushrooms and guess what kind they are. Learning is always more fun when you make a game out of it.

Sending positive vibes to all the explorers!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment