Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

When the Goin' Gets Tough...

I once heard that there is no inappropriate weather, only inappropriate clothing. While I do feel that this is, in most cases, true I do have some chickenish reluctance that prohibit me from exploring the outdoors in thunderstorms or blizzards. So what then when you have a craving for adventure and nowhere to go? Bring nature inside! Here at the zoo we use sensory bins, they allow us to capture elements of the natural world in a structured setting. Yuck, structured...not my favorite word, but sometimes it is necessary. As I look out my window today at black skies and torrential rain, I can't help but think that playing inside is a good idea.

Playing inside can be done in a bevy of activities, from sheet forts to bathtub scuba diving. This week if your weather turns sour, bring the adventure in with a good ole' fashion game of floor lava or utilize sensory bins to keep in touch with nature. Fill a bowl or Tupperware with sand, dirt, rice or any kind of substrate. Then, hide treasures in there for your young Magellan to find. Allow them to manipulate the feel and properties of the substrate. Pour and fill vials for hours of natural fun as the rain sings a soft pitter patter on the windows.



No comments:

Post a Comment